The Film Workshop in a new environment and with new tasks
As a result of the decision made in Parliament in the autumn of 2014 to join the four major film workshops in the country in a binding partnership, the legal report concluded that all four workshops must be under the same type of ownership. This means that Open Workshop in Viborg and the Film Workshop in Copenhagen must separated from their parent institutions and be owned by a foundation.
At the same time it was decided that the Film Workshop in Copenhagen is moving out of the Film House in Gothersgade. FILMupdate published the article “The Film Workshop Relocates” concerning this decision.
In a meeting held August 17th the DFI invited the users of the Film Workshop to be part of the process that is going to shape the Film Workshop in the new environment. Two working groups were set up to work with the questions being asked in the headlines “Forms of Support” and “New Activities” (see below) during the autumn of 2015. The two working groups will organize the meetings themselves. They will meet with Claus Ladegaard and Prami Larsen, and occasionally Henrik Bo Nielsen, to draw on their knowledge and analysis every 6 weeks.
Finally, each of the groups will present their ideas for the future workshop and how it will work for the users.
The Working Group “Types of Support”
The Film Workshop currently supports film crews with very different levels of experience and ideas for different types of film projects. Traditionally the workshops’ most important task is to provide access to equipment. Since 1999 the support has also included cash funds. Today almost all of the film crews with all levels of experience have access to the same types of support.
- Which projects need which types of support to be completed?
- What are the main issues with raising the necessary funds to develop projects, finding qualified crew members, starting the production, and to get the best creative post production and distribution?
- In relation to those questions we are open to ideas to clarify what the most important types of support are in a future Film Workshop to make sure the idea meets its audience.”
Chair of the group is Rikke Tambo Andersen.
The Working Group “New Activities”
In the recent years the Film Workshop has arranged several seminars and workshops primarily for producers, directors and writers. As stated in the Film Agreement proposal the film workshops will also be given a new task called “developing the commercial talent.”
- How can the Film Workshop strengthen the talent development and the support for the projects through other activities than access to equipment and funds?
- How does the Film Workshop in cooperation with the industry, the associations and other types of film education give this growing creative field the necessary access to inspiration, professional challenging and exchanging of ideas, which the future “film image” needs?
Chair of the group is Anna Malmkjær Willumsen.